Saturday, March 29, 2008

i would write a haiku about spring but then again...

I started out on the simple recovery program this morning, or yesterday morning, or whatever. Two pieces of toast and I made a double dose of the farina, added some cinnamon, didn't put enough salt in it, but most of it ended up spilling all over the inside of my bag anyway. Farina is hard to clean up. Make sure the seal is secure. Seriously, more infectious than glitter and an actual semen stain might look less like a semen stain than dried farina.
I was all set to eat spaghetti drizzled in olive oil with a little Adobo and basil, but I got blustered into a free lunch and since I was actually invited to sit at a table with other people in my department I thought it would be rude to refuse. I passed on the tomato/basil/moz starter. Even though I know that moz sandwich probably wasn't what shut down my bowels, the thought of that creamy sponge of milk proteins turned my stomach a bit. I thought I'd try a little of the white wine, but that was also a mistake. The entrée was rotini with a tomato sauce and some olives and artichoke thrown in for kicks. I was afraid this would not go well, but my stomach seemed to hold the pasta and sauce pretty well. I could handle the olives too but the artichokes were tough and bitter. Why do people even eat those things. I've enjoyed them a few times in my life, but in general, people just should not go there, especially when serving more than a dozen people at a time. Half a breadstick sopped up the last of the juices and I was feeling good enough about my gut that I had a canoli and two mini-eclairs for dessert. The canoli was kind of cheap, though, and while the shell and cream were both good, there was only a squirt of cream in each end, not a thorough filling of cream, big disappointment.
Got home for dinner and I went at it in the kitchen. The ability to eat real food really kickstarted my palate and I wanted real food. Five cloves of garlic, sliced at about 1/8th an inch, olive oil, low heat till it started to get translucent
, a can of white beans, pinto beans and black beans, a carrot, celery from deep on the inside of the bunch, basil, oregano, dill, thyme and fennel seeds ground in a stone mortar with a wooden pestle. A few cups of water and I threw the lid on it and let it go for a while. Tossed in some spirally pasta after a while and when that cooked in, i added some shredded baby spinach, sprinkled some parmesan and breadcrumbs on top and let it brown a bit. Delightful with a little wonderbread/adobo garlic bread. Would have been nice to finish it with a little white wine, but there was none to be had. Settled for a few glasses of ginger ale that I let go flat for about an hour before drinking. All in all, it's good to be cooking again.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

I think people have been rubbed out over hollow cannoli.