Thursday, June 19, 2008

This Tuesday was easy, and yet I am still late.

And lets not even talk about the weekend, which was good for food, but the details have been lost to the muddy sands in the river of time. Did you know today was International Butcher Your Metaphors Day? Now you do.


Tuesday is so easy to write about because I barely ate. I had a banana for breakfast, but that was all I really felt like eating. I had a lot on my mind, and it didn't make for a big appetite.

Not eating anything but a banana and a handful of peanuts a little later has a way of wearing on your insides, though. My frequent lunch friend suggested Indian and I thought maybe a good gorge would help assuage my tormented brainparts. Some how we didn't let the $12 price tag deter us from an all-you-can eat lunch. If I would have really thought about the gastro-intestinal consequences at the time, though, I would have opted for the ramen joint on the ground floor.

It wasn't great Indian, but I would not be deterred from eating more than I should. I skipped breakfast, sort of, so how bad could two platefuls of food and a bowl of desert with two pieces of naan really be?

Well, the food was bland, especially for Indian standards. Their samosas were pretty good and the cilantro chutney was also up to par. I'm not spending $12 for all-you-can-eat samosas, though. I want my channa masala, my saag paneer, something that says aloo in it, maybe a chicken curry or a lamb curry, and some biryani rice would be nice, but the standard white stuff is very welcome too and of course there should be a piece of tandoori chicken in the mix the way every Chinese buffet in America has to have something named after General Tso and usually featuring chicken. The thing is, they had all of these things, they were just very poor versions of each. The spice level was set for geriatric Japanese nun, you might compare it to the spiciness of milk, or perhaps a manila envelope. The tandoori chicken was decent, actually, although it's not really my favorite Indian food. Before I had their chicken curry, it might even have been my least favorite Indian chicken dish. The lamb curry, saag, chana and aloo curries were all about as exciting as a Newheart marathon. This is probably for the best, since it held me to only one rather modest return plate instead of an all out binge.

The rice pudding was above average, though not by much. If I had it to do all over again, I would have had 8 samosoas or so, with a little biryani rice with a modest portion of the chicken curry and a few bowls (they were very small) of the rice pudding, maybe a piece of naan. This still wouldn't have been worth $12, but would have mitigated a lot of my disappointment. I guess this is what I get for trying to externalize my satisfaction.

That afternoon proved fairly difficult to get through. My blood sugar spiked and fell and I almost went into a food coma, and I also felt uneasy and threw up a little bit in my mouth at one point. Yeah, I know you wanted to know. This is why this posting is so easy, though. I didn't eat anything else all day. there was just no room for it. I drank a bottle of B-Relaxed Vitamin water when I got home from work, but the other stresses in my life combined with the Indian overload to put me down for the night before 9PM even.

At least maybe only eating one meal for the day might help the slimming process along. Not really a good diet meal though...

No comments: