Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wednesday is for vegetarianism and more fun with crappy service.

Wednesday was inadvertently a vegetarian day. I had every intention of having a deli sandwich for lunch as I scavenged the leftovers of some faculty function, but sadly there was only roasted vegetable sandwiches and lox with cucumber sandwiches left. I took the lox and cucumber sandwich because I thought it was some sort of tomato/fresh garden thing. It's fair to say I didn't look very closely. If you were wondering if it was a good sandwich, it wasn't. The salmon was atrocious and I ended up spitting out the bite I tried to eat. In defense of the caterers' judgment, it had been sitting out all afternoon, so it wasn't exactly shower fresh.

The hummus and couscous salad were pretty good, but there wasn't much of that left. There was a potato salad that rivaled the day before's Indian food. (If you didn't read the post, it sucked.) The coleslaw was very good, especially considering the source was a giant catering kitchen. There was also caesar salad with actual anchovies on the salad. That was a nice step above, but made me think about how good the cold cut sandwiches might have been. I also had some thin slices of a thin baguette with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil on them. Not a bad spread, though I do wish I wasted less plate space on that salmon atrocity.
Desert was a stack of 4 cookies, chocolate chip, chocolate with mint chocolate chips and two oatmeal raisin cookies. I also had a cup of fruit, which was the biggest portion size out of anything else I ate for lunch or breakfast. That's healthy, right? A nice blend of watermelon, pineapple, grapes, blueberries and raspberries ended lunch on a nice high note, despite the heavy thud of the salmon sandwich hitting the bottom of my otherwise empty trash can.

Did someone mention breakfast? It was a banana, a cup of Stonyfield Farms Cream on Top Vanilla and a handful of peanuts. It kept me from being irritable until 3PM when the scavenging started.

Dinner you say? Well fuck you too, New York Wraps. We ordered the Jerusalem (#46) and the Mediterranean (#48) wraps and an order of seasoned fries. They were both falafel based, mine was the Jerusalem, falafel, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and tahini. That's not important, though, because they bollocksed up my order. My friend got his #48, but I got the #45, "Zorba the Greek" aka "A lettuce salad with a belittlingly sparse sprinkling of things that weren't lettuce, like feta cheese, oil and vinegar dressing, or tomatoes."

When I called back to try to explain, I was quickly and thoroughly reminded about how much customer service sucks in Manhattan. I know Manhattan has a few exemplary ass holes out there that have probably made this guy's job a lot harder than it has to be, but it seems like restaurants adopt this super-aggressive customer service policy apparently aimed at making their customers feel stupid for having decided to give them business. I wasn't caustic at first, but the conversation ended with me saying "You know, it's not worth me arguing with you any more, I just won't ever order from your fucking store ever again. Thank you."

It's a shame the fries were so good.

On the bright side of things, the salad wrapped in a paper towel is probably better for me than the fried falafel would have been. Seeing as how I put down 4 1/2 pints of Guiness, Smithwicks and Magner's, cutting a few calories was an acceptable side-effect of what seems to be a regrettable trend in $7-15/person restaurants in Manhattan.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

Guinness is the most important part of a healthy diet.