Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday? Hot.


Most people who make yogurt for a living will tell you that yogurt is so good for you that you should eat it once or twice a day. This is because those people have a vested interest in increasing their market base. This doesn't mean they are wrong.

I had a yogurt similar to the one pictured above as part of my breakfast. The other part was a sandwich of two Trader Joe's banana waffles with margarine and honey. Something about the gluten-free dough for the banana waffles is so dense and starchy, it hurts my tongue to eat them. These are still from that first box from April and there's still one left in the freezer, waiting for my next moment of extreme desperation for an easy breakfast, having forgotten or buried the shame of the last time.

When I opened the yogurt, I realized I had neither a spoon, nor the desire to get up and get one from the coffee room, so I tilted the cup back and drank the yogurt, very slowly, very very slowly. When the weight of the yogurt sticking to the edges of the cup was no longer enough to pull the yogurt down into my waiting mouth, I poured water into the cup, shook it vigorously like I was making a martini, and drank the resultant yogurt-foam-water.

Lunch was leftover morel pasta with a tomato and mozzarella sandwich from the moz and tomatoes I set to marinate on Monday night. The sandwich was great, but the pasta had frozen during it's stay over the weekend in my work fridge. I guess the temperature was set very low, but the freezing wasn't very good for the cream sauce, the pasta or the morels. Aside from texture issues, it still tasted basically the same. It was just a little disappointing compared to how great it was on Thursday night. The portion was also very light, even for my new attempt at revising my portion expectations, so I had to supplement my lunch with a few handfuls of roasted peanuts I've been keeping in my desk for just such an occasion.

Then for dinner was the glorious return of the chilled zucchini and tomato pasta from Monday night. This time the weather was just as hot, but the pasta was even colder. It helped the zucchini come across very bold and the whole sauce was very exuberant, thanks largely to the very sweet nature of my uncle's tomatoes.
I tried to keep it to a modest portion, but my tummy wanted things to play with, so I had another cup of yogurt (raspberry La Yogurt) to quiet it down. This was an excellent choice because it did not involve the stove at all. Sadly, after a few minutes my tummy was feeling rambunctious again and I had no more good cold food on hand. I broke down and turned on one burner from the stove for about 3 minutes. In that time I cooked a hot dog and warmed up a tortilla in the same pan to avoid having to do more dishes. I could have eaten them cold, but the last time I ate cold hot dog, I think I was decked out in underoos and oshkosh b'gosh overalls, so it's been a year or two.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

Probably the summer of 2003.