Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wednesday was not as nutritionally unsound as it could have otherwise been.

Some days you eat a bowl of oatmeal, some yogurt, a light salad, reasonable dinner, you feel so energized and full of life.
Yesterday I woke up tired and a touch hung-over after about four hours of sleep. I was not in the mood for oatmeal.
Breakfast was two, yes, two Jeno's frozen supreme pizzas. I knew that I'd need more push to keep the engine running today and more calories for all the caffeine to bounce off of and not tear holes in my stomach.
To that end, I gladly accepted a sugar cookie from my office-mate. She likes to dust them with cinnamon.
Even with two pizzas under my belt, well, suspended just above my belt, really, I needed to eat an early lunch and slammed a bowl of ramen while working on a project at work.
But that's not all I ate at work! Thanks to some sort of summer seminar, there was a wealth of free Indian food in the atrium in the afternoon. There was channa saag (spinach and chickpeas), chicken korma (spicy, creamy red sauce) and some kind of lentil curry as well as naan, rice, raita (sour yogurt with vegetables) and even the cilantro and tamarind chutneys. the saag and the korma were very good, although there was not much chicken left in the chicken korma by the time I went down. The lentil curry had some strange texture to the sauce. It felt a little plastic.
I went up for a pretty hefty second helping of the channa saag. I also had two helpings of the desert, which seemed to me to have more in common with Midwest family reunions than it did with Indian buffet, but it was so good, I really can't complain. It was an orange pudding, possibly butterscotch, mixed with fruit salad and a meringue-like topping. The combination of the heavy, creamy dessert and the light, fluffy desert just piled instant satisfaction into your face.
There was so much curry left over that was going to be thrown away, I got the tupperware I used for ramen and filled it up with some of each of the curries. I was so full I didn't eat dinner that evening either, although I did have a bite of mac n cheese with hot dogs that I made for Thursday. Sorry for the spoiler. I know how my fans are such purists.

No comments: