Monday, August 18, 2008

Sunday, so many days left behind

Brunch with a friend leaving the country for a few weeks was a nice excuse to do something a little above the usual breakfast burrito and frozen pizza fare I subsist on. Instead, I tried to plate something a little more daring, an omelet. This was not your average bacon and cheese, no, not even a western omelet. This was green peppers and garlic with a blue cheese and blackberry ricotta filling. The textures were perfect. I timed the omelets just right so that they had just barely set and you could cut through them with a fork without displacing all the filling. The ricotta filling could have used a little salt, but otherwise the recipe was sound. I served them with a salad of mixed baby greens and Munster cheese in an apple cider vinegar and horseradish dressing an couscous drizzled with chili oil and honey.

Lunch and dinner were much more humble. I snuck one of my frozen bean burritos into the show at McCarren Park Pool and ate it during the Aesop Rock set once it had finally thawed. I was apprehensive about eating them without reheating them, since I imagined frozen baked beans would not be very appealing. This burrito was just refrigerator cold with no frozen bits left. It was quite good that way and I will probably eat the rest of them cold. The microwave just slows me down.

Dinner was just one single sweet plantain and pork pastry from the cuchifritos joint near my house. I am addicted to them now, but there are worse addictions, really. At least with this addiction I'm only spending $1.50 to be pretty thoroughly satisfied.

No comments: