Wednesday, August 13, 2008

tuesday takes another chance at life

A lot of old favorites took pretty hard swings at my colon yesterday. I'm happy to report I'm still processing food more or less normally, although I'm going to stay away from spicy food for a while, I think, well, outside of the small army of bean burritos I made Monday night and froze for easy eating at work the next few days. I two of those burritos for lunch, but I've gotten ahead of myself, haven't I. Save the burrito talk for later.
For breakfast I had burritos, breakfast burritos. This time round it was hot dog, green pepper and a cheddar and monterray jack chese blend. I wrapped them in a paper towel before wrapping them in saran wrap in an attempt to control the moisture of freshly cooked foods wrapped immediately in plastic. Instead of nice, moderately moist burritos, however, I discovered that paper towel and flour tortilla will begin to bond into a single, homogeneous given enough time and moisture. They seemed almost organically fused with each other, and it was more like peeling garlic or an onion than removing two previously separate surfaces from one another. It made me wonder if we couldn't grow burrito trees that produce bean burritos like fruit. They were such a pain to finally peel apart, though, that I abandoned the idea, thinking it was too much of a pain in the ass to really become popular in the modern food market.
Throughout the afternoon there was some peanut brittle, a Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked oatmeal cookie, and two very naughty looking Drakes cakes. It was a particularly weak day for snacking.
Then there were the bean burritos, refried beans, rice, green peppers, the monterray/cheddar blend from breakfast and some Kick Ass hot sauce, a very fiery habanero-based version of liquid pain that I find quite pleasant in moderate doses. Having premade the burritos while on the phone with my parents, some burritos are more moderate than others, and it's a bit of a crapshoot just how much eating one is going to hurt. One of the ones I had for lunch was spicier than most people find appealing.
The one I had with dinner was pretty tame, but maybe I was just getting used to them by then.
Along with my fifth burrito for the day, I had tomato coconut soup. This is a great idea that I stole from Honey's in Philadelphia. The basic recipe is a can of tomato soup, a can of coconut milk, and half a can of water, heated. I like to step it up a little, though. This time I heated about 2 Tbsp of my ginger/garlic paste in olive oil, then added a quarter cup of the spicy tomato soup from my uncle's greenhouse and about a quarter cup of brown rice. After letting them get to know each other for a bit, I added the coconut milk, and then, after about 5 min, I added the can of tomato soup and a can and a half of water. I covered this and cooked it on a very low boil until the rice was tender. Then I finished the top with a little dried basil and cumin powder.
The spice was a little fast up front, but stuck around with a nice, long, caring burn that didn't overpower the interplay between the coconut and tomato. My dinner guest and I really enjoyed it, and both finished heaping bowls, but between the burritos and the heat from the spicy tomato soup, well, lets say my colon was still a bit mad at me when I woke up today.

No comments: