Thursday, August 21, 2008

wednesday? really? what happened to tuesday? oh, that's right, i ate it.

This will not be one of those entries wherein I go into detail about some great restaurant or meal I made at home. Yesterday was, to frame it properly, the day before payday, and my life and pay schedule conspired to put me in a position where my food budget for yesterday was $0.
In the morning I had spring rolls made from left-over mu shu pork wrapped in Vietnamese cold rice wrappers, the ones you use for fresh spring rolls. The mu shu was actually very good cold, but there was only enough left to make three rolls, each about 3 1/2 " long and about an inch wide.
This left me pretty hungry still, and so, when co-workers were headed to the re-opening of the Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner building after their summer vacation (the bakery was on vacation, not my co-workers) I decided I should dip into my laundry budget in the interest of bolstering my caloric intake for the day. Who needs clean underwear when you have Gold Bond, anyway? I suppose $2.75 for an almond croissant filled with raspberry jam is reasonable for Manhattan, especially on the corner of Central Park in the same building as a Whole Foods, Godiva Chocolate and numerous offices of various executives in assorted Time Warner fiefdoms. The croissant was quite good, although I don't know if I was in the right frame of mind to really enjoy splurging on decadent pastries. Though I didn't develop any unsightly chaffing or rashes as a result of delaying my laundry washing, the creeping fear of such consequences may have unfairly colored my experience. Also, as a fan of excellent coffee and the beneficiary of quite a bit of mediocre free coffee, spending any amount of money on their bland latte was a big mistake.
Somehow, after the croissant, I forgot to stop and eat lunch. It wasn't that I didn't have food for lunch, there was black bean and chorizo pasta in my fridge at work, but I was so hypnotised by the repetitive act of folding letters and stuffing them into envelopes that the afternoon just sort of faded away. The next thing I knew it was time for a co-worker's reception in honor of his years of service as he left our school to work somewheres else. This means that my lunch was not only late, but also comprised mostly of crackers, cheese and fruit. I know this isn't the most filling fare and wasn't really enough food to be lunch for a kindergarten student, but I did get my vegetables, carrots, red peppers, brocoli and cucumbers, all dipped in some kind of french onion/ranch hybrid. There was american cheese, brie, some kind of marbled brown-and-gouda-looking cheese, and a havarti dill. I also availed myself of the pineapple and blueberries, the latter of which cleaned my palate and complimented the complimentary Heineken very well. I guess if you gave a kindergarten student a Heineken his lunch would be pretty effectively over, so ok, it was a full enough lunch. It was too bad I had to clock another two hours of overtime after the party, because my liver steadily put an end to the free booze as I clicked away at my computer and my co-workers took the party to a nearby bar. By the time I was done I wasn't so much drunk or sober as just wiped out. Sorry, Dwayne. Raincheck!
Dinner was equally as unimpressive, left over thai curry with brown rice, that wasn't even my leftovers, but was the leftovers of a friend who left them in our fridge before leaving the country. Under British Naval Statutes, that makes the food fair plunder, so down below decks it went, a utilitarian end to a make-do day.

No comments: