Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Monday was made of 100% post consumer material

The right way to start a Monday is with bacon and eggs. I threw in some mushrooms and asparagus and a padinha for awesomeness. Chop two slices of bacon and fry them in a pan. When the little bacon nibbles get crispy, throw in two mushrooms, diced. When the mushrooms start to soften, add a stick of asparagus, sliced into thick coins. As the asparagus brightens, pour two eggs, scrambled into the pan, reduce the heat to a medium low and flip the curding eggs until just barely set. Throw that mess on a sliced padinha with some munster cheese and wrap it in clingwrap until you get out of the subway near work. Then you will have approximated my breakfast from yesterday.

I couldn't wait till I got to work to eat it. I'd been thinking about making this sandwich since the night before. So, as I walked through the Lincoln Center's courtyard, I unwrapped the sandwich and dug in. As I started to eat, Ennio Morricone's "Theme from 'A Fistful of Dollars'" came on my iPod, and I turned around the corner of the New York City Ballet's building into this long, white, tent-like tunnel. I don't know exactly why they had installed this temporary structure, but the rhythm of the poles and the breaks in the tent material and the soundtrack all conspired to make my sandwich feel very important. It was the best breakfast I'd eaten since Easter.

Then, I skipped lunch so that I could get out of work early and meet a visiting friend from Japan with enough time for dinner before I had to work for a show down in SoHo. I did finish off a bag of wasabi peas in the afternoon, though, which was about 12 peas, which is not very much food really. I also decided to drink some cola to keep my sugar up. I barely took a sip or two, though because I don't really like cola, it was just free from some event at work.

My friend and I ended up going to Lombardi's for dinner, which is a pretty good pie, if not overpriced, but for someone's first slice of New York pizza I wanted some place with a little atmosphere and Lombardi's is pretty much a NYC landmark. She being Japanese, she wanted anchovies on the pizza. I managed a 50/50 split of anchovies and their meatballs as a bit of cultural exchange. I did have a slice of the anchovy half and while I expected it to be abusively fishy, I wasn't prepared for how abusively salty the anchovies were. My Japanese friend, of course loved it. I can see why people like it, but I was absolutely overwhelmed. Of course I often actively seek out levels of garlic that most other people find toxic, so I can't really pass judgement on those who love briny fish on what would otherwise be a pretty good pizza. On the whole, though, I really like their pizza, and would really, really like their pizza at about half the price.

Then, before working as a projectionist at an event in SoHo, my Japanese friend and I had an espresso and a coffee respectively at the bar where the event was to be held. I was trying to keep off the booze while still being a gracious and welcoming host in the best Japanese tradition. After the show finished, though, they gave me two free drink tickets and I felt it a shame to go to waste, so I used them to introduce my Japanese friend to a grand American tradition, PBR. Then I tried to explain to her in my rusty Japanese what a hipster was. I think she understood the basics, but I never did manage to explain the supposed ironic cool of drinking shitty beer.

After the PBR we floated to the nearby La Linea, because I'd read reviews and wanted to check it out. It had a great relaxed hip-hop vibe and the decor was very loungy. It looked like a great bar that just happened to be empty because it was Monday. I wasn't planning on ending my detox, but I figured that having a friend visit from the other side of the planet was a lame time to be off the sauce entirely, so we had a drink each, for a total of $18. To add insult to injury, the sign said that happy hour had ended about 10 minutes before we got there, and before we were half-way done with our drinks, the bartender came over and told us that happy hour was back on again for the night, everything half-priced. I don't know how fair it is for me to badmouth a bar that re-opens it's happy hour, but it left a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth that I didn't want to waste my $9 Jack and Ginger on washing away.

But, as you will see tomorrow, I'm right back off the sauce and on to actually eating 3 meals a day. Hopefully less arduous work will leave more time for me to tell you about why Brett Favre is kind of a dick.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

Well, at least with the Jack and Ginger, you can't really go wrong.

I've found that anchovies and meatballs are two of the most varied pizza toppings. Both are wonderful when good, terrible when bad, and it is hard to determine which you will get beforehand.