Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tuesday is not today. (unless it's a later Tuesday than the one described here)

According to my quiz, at least two of my readers are liars. I already figured that, though, because the internets are full of liars. At only 30% liars, it appears that my readership is above the interweb moral average. Good job, folks.

I know you know I don't like non-breakfast foods for breakfast, but there is one more exception to the bacon and/or eggs and/or cereal rule and that is:
Gyoza!
You may know them as pot stickers, but these dumplings, preferably filled with pork and some incidental vegetables, are really great for breakfast. I started doing it, much like the pizzas because they were cheap and easy to make in the morning, while still being warm food that packs a nice greasy punch.

I like to buy the frozen ones in as big of a bulk packaging as will fit in my freezer. When I cook them, I heat a little sesame oil in a frying pan, then I arrange the frozen gyoza into the pan so that the flat side is on the bottom and the little ridge points up. You don't want to brown them yet. You have to pour enough water in the pan so that 1/8 to 1/4 inch is standing in the bottom of the pan. Throw a lid over them and let them steam till the noodle becomes translucent, then remove the lid and let the water cook off. You can then let them brown (just on the bottom, you don't need to flip them or anything) to your desired crispiness.

I usually eat mine with chili oil and a mixture of soy sauce, a little brown sugar, and vinegar. You can buy different variations of the soy sauce/vinegar mixture in most Asian grocers. It will probably have a picture of dumplings on the bottle.

Yesterday I ate 8 gyoza for breakfast. They weren't very big, though so I got hungry well before lunch and ate a chocolate bunny head as a snack, as illustrated bellow.

As you may have noticed, I had a lot of sugar this Tuesday. In addition to the chocolate bunny head was cola, which I should not be drinking but am drinking regularly because it is regularly free. It's better for my heart than coffee, but a lot worse for my teeth and gastro-intestinal tract. In an attempt to improve, I had gingerale with lunch and it wasn't even flat.
The Surgeon General approved portion of my lunch was two sandwich halves, a tuna salad to which I added cucumber slices and a little mayo(Honestly, Mom, just a little.) and an Italian cold cuts hoagie from which I removed the pickled, roasted red pepper and added a thick layer of salad greens and red onions. The Italian meat in question was pancetta and
an indeterminate variation of salami. Both sandwiches were quite good, although the bread on the Italian hoagie got all soggy where the red peppers were. Note to my readers who work in the design kitchens of Whole Foods, please keep the peppers to the side during delivery.

The rest of my lunch is what I've come to think of as my weekly cookie parade. This week's participating cookies/sweets were: a blueberry danish, an apple and walnut danish, a peppermint creme brownie, a cappuccino brownie, two chocolate covered biscotti, a chocolate biscotti with some kind of nuts in it (I still don't know!), about 4 square inches of jam bars, two strawberry halves (not from the same strawberry), and two blackberries.
Since I eat lunch at 2PM and I met my Japanese friend immediately after work for a quick dinner before she was off to see Hairspray, I really wasn't hungry at all, but I figured I should take her somewhere interesting as it would be her last real meal in NYC, for a while anyway, and I wanted an excuse for a really long run-on sentence.
We went to The Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien Hotel. The burgers are great and priced to fit their Midtown environs. I was now trailing two Japanese girls as my friend had picked up another friend during her Japanese-speaking tour of Manhattan that afternoon. The ordering process is a bit intense as the place is always packed and always has a line. The only place I've seen with less patience at the counter are the blights of the Philadelphia cheesesteak community, Pat's and Geno's.
We managed to get everybody the burger they wanted without too much drama, though, and soon enough I was tucking into a medium cheese burger with the works, pickles, onions, letuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard and mayo. I also got a bag of fries for the group. Even if you're not two Japanese girls and a guy who just finished a cookie parade two hours ago, one bag of fries is enough to share between 2.4 average Americans.
That's when Brett Favre walked in and I thought "Damn, that guy looks a lot like Brett Favre." Nobody else in the Joint seemed to notice, though, so I thought maybe I was halucinating. I pointed him out to the Japanese girls, but they, of course, had no idea who he was and so could not weigh in on wether it was really him or not. I didn't want to harrass the guy at dinner though, so I let it drop. We finished our burgers and then left.
We waited in the lobby for phone calls to be made and toilets to be used before heading out onto the street. There I saw a herd of beefy, college-aged guys yelling "Yo, Brett! Come on, let's go Brett!" At that point I was 87% sure it was Brett Favre after all. I sent the two Japanese girls back into the lobby where Brett had just rounded a corner to get their compulsory "Japanese tourist with random famous person they don't know but a friend pointed out" photo.
Brett came around the corner first, and then quickly entered a large shiny vehicle and lurched down 57th Street. My Japanese friends came around second looking rather disappointed. Perhaps I should have coached them better on how to pronounce his name, but they were rejected. I didn't see the rejection, and so I can't really remark on Mr. Favre's personality, but seeing as how my last quiz is over, I'm going to throw this one over to the polls.

No comments: