Friday, April 25, 2008

The Wednesday after

I've been so productive writing that I've felt kind of lazy in the mornings, hence another Jeno's frozen pizza for breakfast. Today's selection was sausage.

The one problem with Jeno's pizzas is that 1 in 10 of the ones I get from my local grocer don't have much cheese at all. My usual fix for this is shaking a liberal amount of parmesean cheese onto the top. You should be careful to leave space at the edges, though, because the parmesean has a high spread factor when it melts.

Wednesday was Administrative Assistant Appreciation Day or something like that. It used to be Secretary's Day, but we don't use that word any more because it's too kinky. It's much harder to fantasize about an "administrative assistant," unless, of course, you have a fetish for asonance or words with lots of sylables.

My workplace being such a delightful place, the faculty all donated towards a special brunch for the admin asst dept. I'm going to do my best at remembering all of the stuff I ate, but I really just gorged on what may well be my last cookie parade for a while. Sadly this assignment ends on Friday and I doubt any other assignment will provide me with such a bountiful supply of cookies.

There was a really good rye bread. I cut a thick slice, spread on some spicy brown mustard and layered some great pastrami on top. It was the sort of great you get with a simple confluence of quality ingredients.

I passed on the bagels and lox because I'd just listened to an NPR report about global fishing practices and environmental and food safety experts pretty much decry farmed salmon as one of the most terrible fish a human could consume. Since there wasn't much chance of it being free-range Alaskan, I thought it best just to pass.

I ate 3 of these delightful mini cinamon rolls with cream cheese on one of them, about 7 ginger snaps, a "black and white" cookie (a soft sugar cookie with black chocolate icing and white orange icing), some butter cookie, an amoretti and a bagel with a slice of summer sausage. I feel like there were more cookies and pastries involved, but I don't remember the details. The whole thing was in the faculty lounge, too, so I had a Green Mountain Sumatran roast for my morning coffee.

It was enough food that I didn't eat lunch, although I did take the bag of ginger snaps with me and snack on them the rest of the day.

Dinner was another bit of simplistic glory: BST sandwiches, bacon, spinach and tomato. On wheat toast I spread a little Miracle whip, layed out a nice bed of baby spinach, some sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, bacon and cheese. The girlfriend opted for munster. I tried the longhorn cheddar because it had more bite up front and would stand out more against the bacon. I'm sure the munster with it's creamy tones and late bite finish was just as good.

Never one to let bacon be the only thing I fry in my bacon fat, I cut a potato as thin as I could manage and made some bistro fries, or whatever less pretentious name you might want to call them. I seasoned these with a little salt and pepper.

The whole thing danced very nicely around a bottle of Yeungling lager. The donut I had for desert didn't go so well with the beer, though. It was a bad donut to begin with, $1.69 for an 8-pack of glazed donuts was a risky wager from the start, but I think there's a good reason why most people have their donuts with coffee or tea, and not beer.

Don't try this at home kids.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

What does a case of Yuengling, or a bottle for that matter, cost for you?