Tuesday, April 15, 2008

tuesday cookie parade

After that miserable showing Monday night, I had to get myself back into actually eating, so I made sure to wake up with enough time to cook breakfast. Burritos with egg, bacon, green pepper and goat chese.

Yes, they were fantastic. No I won't bring you some. Obviously, I've already eaten them as I've written this the day after as per the title of my blog. You'll have to make your own.

They weren't quite as good as the burritos from Friday, though, so if you're going to go through the trouble of cooking things based on reading this blog, you should probably make those instead. I've just finished more burritos today, not to ruin the surprise for tomorrow, but they're mere shadows of the Aristotelian ideal form of breakfast burrito which I ate on Friday.

I also made something for lunch that I feel must be confessed here. I'm affraid I've angered the gods of vegetarianism. I don't even believe they exist, and yet I've tasted their ire over a sin against their chosen one, tofu. I'm a reformed vegetarian, and I'm not about to jump back on the wagon because of this incident, but I do feel I should apologize to tofu for the terrible thing I did to it.

I cut a hefty slab of Trader Joe's extra firm tofu and cut it into six pieces about 0.5"x0.5"x3" and I fried them in the bacon fat that had rendered as I was making bacon for the burritos. As I was flipping the tofu to get nice and golden on the opposite side as well, a glob of tofu juice and bacon fat shot out of the pan and hit me square in the right eye. Thankfully, I can still see, but I think the message was clear. Tofu no likey bacon bath.

The insults weren't over, though, because the fried tofu then resisted any attempts to season with soy sauce, sesame oil or mirin. I made a wrap with the tofu and some of the TJ's Spring Greens, and all of the seasonings just ended up soaking into the tortilla leaving this spongy bland mess in the middle.

The real lesson here, season your tofu before frying. It responds very well to marinades. Also, tofu has a lot of moisture, so make sure to seal the evil tofu sprites into your cauldron with a lid when flying or else, much like in other folk wisdoms, you will go blind.

I didn't end up eating the wrap for lunch, though, because free lunch reared it's gracious head and I went to throw out my folding chair for the cookie parade. Besides a ham & brie sandwich and a cup (there were no plates left) of salad greens, ravioli, feta cubes and cucumbers, I did my best to keep the cookie tray from going to waste. In no particular order, the following marched into my face: 2 chocolate covered biscotti, 1 choconut biscotti, 1 peppermint creme brownie, 1 cappucino brownie, 1 blueberry, 1 blackberry, 1/2 strawberry, 2.3 sq. in. of fruit bar, and 1 cheesecake blondie/brownie. I threw a few pita chips with humus in there along the way too.


And then there was the day's coffee. I went for Green Mountain again, this time trying a blend called "Dark Magic" or some equally as sappy play on the word "dark." It wasn't that dark, but not as bad as I expected. As far as consistent quality across various "flavors," Green Mountain is definitely better than the Flavia.

The bacofu wrap I ate later at UCB Harolds Night along with a chocolate covered biscotti and a sugar cookie that I'd saved from the cookie parade. The wrap was not the worst thing I've ever eaten, but maybe the worst food I've ever blogged about. That recipe definitely needs some thorough revision, or perhaps bacofu will proove to be plainly taboo. Either way I enjoy a good food challenge.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

This has nothing to do with this entry but the cookie bar reminded me of some past entries.

How come when you eat small berries, you only eat like, 1 or 3 of them? Is someone limiting your berry intake? Is it a Zen thing? What the hell.