Monday, April 7, 2008

Sunday, bloody ModelMagic Sunday

I had slept Saturday with dreams of bacon and eggs and a lazy Sunday morning to enjoy them in. These dreams were shattered by a phone call way too early for people who had just gone to sleep at 3AM. It was my girlfriend's brother. He wanted to know if she wanted to go to the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA with him, his wife and her neice. I got invited by association and off we went without any bacon or eggs or even a cup of coffee to ride trains down to Hoboken before riding in a car for an hour and a half to the happiest place for crayons in all of Easton, PA.

My girlfriend was gracious enough to get me that cup of coffee with half and half and way more sugar than I asked for as well as an everything bagel with cream cheese and a blue berry donut. I love everything bagels, though I'm not particularly fond of the Dunkin' Donuts itteration. I hadn't had any sort of bagel in a while, though, so I was pretty happy to nosh through that one.

I also had a bite or two of my girlfriend's toasted biscuit with butter. I was a bit unsure of Dunkin' Donuts abilities to provide a quality biscuit but it was pretty passable. It was maybe a little more soft and crumbly than I prefer, almost a little underdone, but for some of you that may sound perfect.

The blueberry donut tasted oddly of lipstick. If you've never tasted lipstick, I recommend that you go to the local pharmacy or other cosmetics retailer, buy a tube of whatever color strikes you, then take it home, cut about a 1/8th inch slice off the end, pop it in your mouth and then chew. You will remember the taste of lipstick very vividly for a long time afterward, unless perhaps you die shortly afterward. This would likely be unrelated to you eating the lipstick, just a bit of poor luck.

Through out the course of the day, as we were riding with a 3 year-old, there were lots of plastic baggies full of pretzels and grapes being passed around. Of course, I took advantage of some of those. I also had a Nature Valley Peanut bar, which was not unlike peanut brittle with the addition of sunflower seeds and a much higher nut to brittle ratio.

Since mommy is very anti-fast food, we tried to eat at a local deli, but it was closed. There were not many open eateries apparent around the Crayola building, so we settled on a Subway. I had a meatball sub with provalone and green peppers on their garlic roll. I also had some raspberry iced "tea" from the fountain soda machine. I used to drink that stuff every chance I got in high school. I don't think it has changed much, so it must be me. It was just way to syrupy. I couldn't finish the medium cup, which was the smallest size they had. Kind of made me miss Japan.

I feel I should also note that I probably ingested some Crayola ModelMagic, their sculpting product. The material itself is a lot of fun to play with. It only comes in white, the idea being that you can then color it with markers. At one point i'd made a big Gene Simmons-esque tongue and colored it red and put it in my mouth for pictures. Later, I also made vampire fangs complete with bloodstains which I managed to mount over my own teeth, but mostly by smooshing the ModelMagic into the cracks between my teeth. I wasn't quite aware of this at the time, but upon removal, I realized that some of that stuff was going to stay in my teeth until my saliva slowly broke it down. Since flossing or constantly spitting for the next hour were not really viable options, I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to admit to eating modeling "clay." Those of you who know me personally are not very surprised, I'm sure.

On my way home we stopped in Kearny, NJ where I picked up some more padinhas and Portuguese custard cups. I couldn't wait and ate half of one of the padinhas right away. The other half I later used as a bun for a tiny hamburger with the last of the beef from the day before.

This time I cooked the mushrooms and onions in the hamburger juices and opted for the last of the Monterrey Jack, some Miracle Whip and some horseradish. It was a little bomb of awesome. I had two of the custard cups for dessert. The whole thing, while a very small ammount of food, was intensely gratifying.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

What is a Portuguese custard cup?