Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wednesday seems to be a favorite with the stomach flu virus.

Ah Spring. Spring makes me do crazy things like stay up late playing Xplorers C&K as I battle the kind of insomnia that kept me up many nights as a teenager reading Anne McCaffrey and Madeleine L'Engle. I do something to keep from just lying there, staring at my ceiling, waiting for the sleep truck to hit me. The problem with doing something you actively enjoy just before bed is that more often than not you are only delaying the time your brain takes to just let everything settle.

That is why I was running just a little bit late yesterday and had to rush out the door without really having enough time to make a propper breakfast. I had to opt for the "oops, I'm gonna be late" version of my breakfast burritos, which is wrapping a hot dog in a tortilla, microwaving it for 30 seconds and then eating that and a banana while walking to the subway.

Then, at work I drank the last of the free coke I'd saved in a VitaminWater bottle and another bottle of Poland Spring.

Lunch was leftovers of the black bean and tuna pasta and a cup of Earl Grey tea. It was pretty filling for my small portion size. I feel like this is my worst post ever so far, and that takes some doing. Maybe I need to restart my coffee habit.

My girlfriend was really sick today, the way that I was sick when I started this thing only worse. She left work almost as soon as she got there and came to see me to get the key for my apartment so that she could go lay down. When I got off work I went to take care of her. As a vote of solidarity I made us a dinner we could both get down.

I made a very simple chicken stock with a chicken leg I had in the freezer and a little salt, removing all the foam and as much fat as I could manage from the top. Then I added two cups of rice and kept it wet enough to be a little soupy. Then I added some carrots and reserved chicken meat and let them cook in until the carrots were soft.

While I was cooking I had to indulge one of my better habits. I'm infatuated with celery and peanut butter. I don't know when it happened, but if I have both in the house, I eat at least a stalk a day slathered in crunchy peanut butter. I'm exceptionally fond of opening fresh jars of peanut butter when I can use the celery directly as an edible utensil for peanut butter retrieval.

The girl friend and I had our rice porridge and a piece of toast each. I hit mine with a little Adobo seasoning. I was a little worried the porridge would be too complex for my girlfriend's sick tummy, but she finished hers about twice as fast as I ate mine. I guess not eating anything all day will do that to you.

I won't get into the gruesome details here to spare my girlfriend having to read about her sickness after the fact, but she was still ill this morning. I guess I'm not such a good nurse after all. I'm gonna try to pull a Peter Pan to make up for it. If you're reading this, please send some good mojo out to my girlfriend so she gets better soon.

"I do believe in fairies. I do believe in fairies!"

3 comments:

Zachary said...

I feel bad when I'm forced to eat hot dogs for breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, they are fast and portable and pretty solid, but is is still annoying.

Also, the word verification is a pain. I feel like I need to hit the little cryp symbol. Too mamy qs and ys and fs and hs.

Captain Cashew said...

cryp symbol? eh? nani?

Zachary said...

It is beside the word verification box. You see it painted on cryp spaces all the time.