Thursday, April 3, 2008

thursday's child is full of options

Sadly, as I write this, it is a relatively busy Friday, and I don't have much time to write because I have to play Desktop Tower Defense. Seriously, does anyone know of a good intervention program? I had dreams about hosing down little purple blobby things while automated rocket-launching turrets in the distance rained down dart-borne death. If my entry for tomorrow (Everything I ate Friday) is short it's because I opted for Desktop Tower Defense instead of food.

But before I ever played that accursed game, I made breakfast burritos for me and the girlfriend. See, I wasn't lying. I had two. She only ate one. She's small. Today's burritos were filled with scrambled egg, diced hot dog and green pepper, and some of that Monterrey Jack I've been whittling at for days.

I'm not a big MJ nut, but I prefer it to cheddar and the cheese options at my local are a little limited. I alternate between the jack and Munster if they have it.

Apparently, one of my roommates wasn't in a knife-y kind of mood, because it looked like someone in a big hurry for cheese snapped the brick in half instead of bothering to cut or shred it. I suppose I should be glad I didn't find bite marks.

I should also be glad my roommates weren't in a knife-y mood because that tends to lead to property damage and injury. We had a puppy calendar hanging in the kitchen by a steak knife that had been stabbed through the puppy of the month into the plaster of the wall. Tres adorable.

It also looks like someone housed the last 40% of the giant Sarris' peanut butter meltaway egg. I hope for the sake of their colon that didn't happen at the same time as the cheese gorge.

Do you love VitaminWater like I do? I drink it compulsively when I have it around. If you kept handing them to me, I'd probably keep drinking them till I was too full to technically fulfill the definition of "to drink." My main weakness is Focus, but I'm also a big fan of Energy, Charge, Formula 50 and this roibos-based tea I have only had once, but which has haunted me ever since.

It's also a telling indicator of the relative price index of different neighborhoods around town; in a deli on the Upper West Side, $3.25, in a bodega in El Barrio, $1.50. I wonder if most UWSies realize how much they're being price-gouged over a relatively small distance. 10 minutes on a bike can be more than a 200% price increase. Someone with more time than me should do a topographical map of Manhattan VitaminWater prices out of corner stores. I imagine, like so much else, there's a pretty steep difference around the 100th St. mark.

Oh yeah, so I drank one of the 20 oz. bottles of Focus.

So, today again there was free food at work. It's not like I'm complaining, but the memory of projectile vomiting Gatorade, bananas and toothpaste has kind of stuck with me, and so even though I tried to get down a ham and brie sandwich, it was slow going and I couldn't quite finish one of the half-hoagies. I also picked at the assorted olives and sides: an olive, a slice of cucumber, pita chips, 2 ravioli, about a tablespoon of tabbouleh and a slice of this roasted bread that isn’t exactly garlic bread, but isn’t exactly not garlic bread either.

The tabbouleh used some really sturdy greens and the texture put me way off, so I stuck to the sweet stuff after that. In no particular order I downed , 3 oatmeal raisin cookies, 2 choc covered biscotti, 1 caramel pecan bar, half a granola nut bar, a peppermint brownie, 1 green grape, 2 blackberries, a sugar cookie, a chocolate biscotti with some kind of nuts in it, half a medium-sized strawberry and about 463mL of Coke. That probably contributed to my sense of jitters as I sat and played Desktop Tower Defense in my office after work until about 9PM as I killed time before meeting friends for Cagematch at the UCB.

When I left for the show my back tire had gone flat. At first I thought some dickhead had let the air out of my tires, but then I found the puncture I’d gotten on the way to work. The debris was still in it, which is why the leak came so slow I didn’t notice it on the way in. I needed new tires anyway, but it was a bit of a pain to walk 36 blocks with my bike over my shoulder.

On the way I hit up the dollar slice pizza joint on 42nd and 9th Ave. That’s the possibly the cheapest food per square foot in the city, with a cheap donut shop around the corner and a Papaya Dog right next door. It wasn’t so cheap for me, though, because I gave the guy a $20 and he gave me change for a $10, which I didn’t notice until about an hour later. If I hadn’t been such a moron, it would have been a great $2 dinner. Their dough is very soft. It never gets a hard crust on it. I really love the crust end of their slice and eat it first.

I ate the slices stacked on top of each other and folded as I walked down 9th Ave. in the rain with my bike slung over my shoulder, arms reaching through the frame to stuff my face.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

This comment really goes with the last entry, but why don't you get a larger water bottle. I've found they really help my daily hydration. Of course, I think the latest studies say water isn't all that good for you and you should get your hydration from bread or steak or something.